Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thoughts on MLK Day

We have become such a mean spirited lot. A woman told me if a person is describing themselves as smart and non-religious. That is an oxymoron. So, I said “you’re calling me dumb because I don't believe in god?" She said "No she was talking about good vs. evil," No shit, so I said “So since I don't believe in god, that makes me a bad person?" How Christian of her I thought, well her form of Christianity anyway.

The gall to think, if you do not believe in their god you are an evil person doomed to spend eternity in hell.
Dr. King was very Christ like. Don Kenna was Christ like. Don Kenna was the only priest I know who was Christ like. Shit, none of the nuns that kicked my ass every day were Christ like.

The brothers were good men but I don't know how Christ like. They were great educators, still are. They freely gave me their knowledge and influenced me on my way to becoming a man. The lay teachers did the same. Tim Leary my HS coach was like my big brother, as were my other coaches at St. Augustine HS.

The outpouring of love for the plight of the people of Haiti is tremendous and an act of humanity and love. That is a great statement for our world and how we can come together as humans in the time of tragedy. But, what about the segment of the world that does not value human life? People who will blow themselves up in the name of their god. Killing innocent people as an act of political ideological terrorism is evil at its best. In the name of god of course. Do not let anyone fool you into believing that the people who recruit dysfunctional people to commit such acts are not doing this for any other reason other than POWER.
So, on this day, let’s remember, above all else MLK was a man of peace just like Gandhi. Gandhi died at the hands of a Hindi who was upset Gandhi reached out to Muslims. Killing in the name of one’s god is not just limited to Christians, Jews, and Muslims.
John Lennon said it best in song via “Give Peace a Chance” .

No comments:

Post a Comment