Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

NYC Marathon

As a ex marathoner and a native New Yorker I found the decision to run the NYC Marathon insane in the wake of the most devastating storm to strike the City in well over a hundred years. The Mayor and the NYRRC finally relented and saner heads prevailed and the marathon was cancelled.

Yesterday, runners from everywhere decided to run the course on their own as people still in distress tried to live life. Pictures of residents in Brooklyn waiting on long lines to fill gas cans as runners jogged past seemed like something out of a Fellini movie.

I  would not have wanted to be one of the people who came from out of state or the country to run the race only to find out the race was cancelled, but I would not have come to NYC to run the race. I would have been aware of the burden the race would have placed on my brother and sisters in NYC. If I was planning to come to my home to run the race and had the time off to do so, my first thoughts would have been on helping the people of NYC. The runners who ran through the city on their own yesterday could have really shown the world something good by helping out blocks away from the start in Staten Island and instead of running, pitched in and assisted in any way they could.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment